GingerThe Australian Ginger Industry Association represents the biosecurity interests of ginger producers and the industry. They are members of Plant Health Australia and signatories to the Emergency Plant Pest Response Deed. Their responsibilities include:

  • biosecurity planning and implementation at the national and farm levels
  • liaising with federal and state governments on trade issues
  • funding and supporting biosecurity initiatives
  • participating in national committees and response efforts in an emergency.

Industry overview

In 2015–16, ginger production was valued at $31 million (LVP). Land under ginger cultivation is approximately 280 hectares, which produces around 8,400 tonnes of fresh ginger available year round.

The most popular ginger variety grown in Australia is Jumbo (Canton). Approximately 60 per cent of ginger produced in Australia is sold as fresh ginger with the remaining 40 per cent processed. The value of sales of semi-processed and processed ginger products in the domestic market is over $60 million while exports are currently valued at $40 million.

The Australian ginger industry is based predominantly in south east Queensland within the Sunshine Coast and Wide Bay regions, with a small amount of production in far north Queensland and northern NSW.

The ginger industry is covered by version 1.0 of the biosecurity plan for the ginger industry.

Annual value of ginger production, 2010–16

Distribution of ginger production by state and territory, 2015–16 (based on LVP)

Ginger-IBPIndustry Biosecurity Plan for the Ginger Industry

Biosecurity planning provides a mechanism for the ginger industry, government and other relevant stakeholders to assess current biosecurity practices and future biosecurity needs. Planning identifies procedures that can be put in place to reduce the chance of pests reaching our borders or minimise the impact if a pest incursion occurs.

The Industry Biosecurity Plan for the Ginger Industry outlines key threats to the industry, risk mitigation plans, identification and categorisation of exotic pests and contingency plans. For a copy, please contact PHA on 02 6215 7700 or email [email protected].

Exotic pests (not in Australia)

The following is a list of high priority exotic pests of the ginger industry. These pests were identified during the development of the Industry Biosecurity Plan for the Ginger Industry in consultation with industry, government and scientists. They have been assessed as high priority pests based on their potential to enter, establish, and spread in Australia (eg environmental factors, host range, vectors) and the cost to industry of control measures.

Pest risk review documents are also available for some pests. Please contact PHA on 02 6215 7700 or email [email protected] for more information.

Endorsed National Diagnostic Protocols are available from the National Plant Biosecurity Diagnostic Network webpage.

Common name Scientific name EPPRD Category Fact sheet Contingency plan Diagnostic protocol
Bacterial wilt Ralstonia solanacearum, race 4 (exotic strains)
Burrowing nematode Radopholus similis (exotic strains)
Fijian ginger weevil Elytroteinus subtruncatus
Yam scale Aspidiella hartii

Other pests

The following is a list of documents (fact sheets, contingency plans and diagnostic protocols) for other exotic pests of the ginger industry. Please note that this is not a complete list of ginger pests: rather it includes pests for which documents exist in the Pest Information Document Database.

Some of the documents presented here are not  tailored to the ginger industry and are included for information only.

Common name Scientific name EPPRD Category Fact sheet Contingency plan Diagnostic protocol
Citrus blackfly Aleurocanthus woglumi FS
Khapra beetle Trogoderma granarium 2 FS CP
May beetle Phyllophaga spp. CP