Growcom represents the biosecurity interests of pineapple producers and the industry. They are members of Plant Health Australia and signatories to the Emergency Plant Pest Response Deed. Their responsibilities include:

  • biosecurity planning and implementation at the national and farm levels
  • liaising with federal and state governments on trade issues
  • funding and supporting biosecurity initiatives
  • participating in national committees and response efforts in an emergency.

Industry overview

In 2012–13, pineapple production was valued at $37 million (LVP), much lower than average. The industry estimates that in 2014 approximately 44,200 tonnes of fresh fruit and 24,300 tonnes of processed fruit were marketed.

There are approximately 80 commercial pineapple enterprises, all based in Queensland, with key growing districts in Wamuran, Elimbah, Glasshouse Mountains, Beerwah, Yandina, Mary Valley, Maryborough, Hervey Bay, Childers, Bundaberg, Cawarral, Yeppoon and northern Queensland.

Australia contributes 0.5 per cent to the world’s fresh pineapple production and supplies almost the entire domestic market. More than 70 per cent of fresh pineapples are packed and marketed through four primary packing houses. The primary pineapple processor, Heinz Golden Circle Ltd, produces canned pineapple and juice.

Approximately 55 per cent of pineapple varieties grown are Smooth Cayenne and Queen (Rough leaf). The remaining 45 per cent of plantings are new hybrid varieties that appeal more to the fresh market and this proportion is expected to increase.

The pineapple industry is covered by version 1.0 of the pineapple industry biosecurity plan.

Annual value of pineapple production 2007–13 (LVP)

Pineapple bar chart

Distribution of pineapple production by state and territory 2012–13 (based on LVP)

Pineapple pie chart

Pineapple-IBPNational Pineapple Industry Biosecurity Plan

Biosecurity planning provides a mechanism for the rice industry, government and other relevant stakeholders to assess current biosecurity practices and future biosecurity needs. Biosecurity planning identifies procedures that can be put in place to reduce the chance of pests reaching our borders or minimise the impact if a pest incursion occurs.

The National Pineapple Industry Biosecurity Plan outlines key threats to the industry, risk mitigation plans, identification and categorisation of exotic pests and contingency plans. For a copy, please contact PHA on 02 6215 7700 or email

Pineapple PostcardPostcard

Promotional item to support the exotic plant pest hotline 1800 084 881.

Exotic pests (not in Australia)

The following is a list of high priority exotic pests of pineapples. These pests were identified during the development of the Industry Biosecurity Plan for the Pineapple Industry in consultation with industry, government and scientists. They have been assessed as high priority pests based on their potential to enter, establish, and spread in Australia (eg environmental factors, host range, vectors) and the cost to industry of control measures.

PHA has a range of fact sheets, contingency plans and diagnostic protocols relevant to these pests. Pest risk review documents are also available for some pests. Please contact PHA on 02 6215 7700 or email for more information.

Endorsed National Diagnostic Protocols are available from the National Plant Biosecurity Diagnostic Network webpage.

Common name Scientific name EPPRD Category Fact sheet Contingency plan Diagnostic protocol
Bacterial fruit collapse Erwinia chrysanthemi (distinct pathovar) FS
False codling moth Thaumatotibia leucotreta syn Cryptophlebia leucotreta 2 FS
Fusariosis Fusarium guttiforme FS
Grey pineapple mealybug Dysmicoccus neobrevipes FS
Pineapple fruit borer Strymon megarus FS

Other pests

The following is a list of documents for other exotic and endemic pests of the pineapple industry. Please note that this is not a complete list of pests: rather it includes pests for which documents exist in the Pest Information Document Database.

Some of the documents presented here are not  tailored to the pineapple industry and are included for information only.

Common name Scientific name EPPRD Category Fact sheet Contingency plan Diagnostic protocol
Blue-striped nettle grub Parasa lepida FS
Papaya mealy bug Paracoccus marginatus FS CP
Tomato spotted wilt virus Tomato spotted wilt virus (Tospovirus) CP